Of available packaging, glass has the disadvantage of its breakability and its weight. Yet glass is a better option than plastic when you consider how well it can be recycled.
Five reasons to choose (and recycle) glass:
- It can be recycled endlessly without a loss of quality.
- Recycled glass uses less energy than virgin glass as it melts at a lower temperature.
- By reusing and recycling glass, the extraction of raw materials is avoided.
- It takes a million years to biodegrade. Recycling avoids filling up garage dumps.
- Recycling glass is easy - both for an end-user (no symbol needed as all glass is recyclable as all glass is) and as a commercial process.
Next time you have a choice, consider choosing glass.